Monday, February 7, 2011

Marketing Fail (or Win)

Sorry for no updates.  The girlfriend stayed over for 4 days, holy shit!  We watched some cool movies that I will review later on, but now for something I wanna get off my chest.

If you people didn't know, I'm a health nut.  It really pains me to see the country becoming more health-conscious, only to be fooled by elusive marketing.  Like the pic, that Sierra Mist Natural.  They came out with it as a healthy alternative to normal Sierra Mist, which is made with high fructose corn syrup.

Bullshit!

The health problem in America is obesity.  Drinking this Sierra Mist Natural in place of regular Sierra Mist, will do absolutely fucking nothing for you.  There actually is no health benefits.  Made with sugar, or high fructose corn syrup, they're both empty calories, and should both be avoided like the plague if you want to get healthy.  I really hope nobody falls for this.  Though I think they may have already.  I was shopping for diet Sierra Mist.  I COULDN'T FIND IT!  They had regular Sierra Mist, and Natural Sierra Mist.  No diet.

I admit, I drink diet soda.  Yea, aspartame.  For some reason, people think this stuff is evil.  They think it's more unhealthy than sugar, or even high fructose corn syrup.  That's bullshit.  In my opinion, it a miracle of modern science.  Well, I limit the amount I take in, just in case.  But seriously.  This stuff has been studied to death.  No respectable study has concluded any harmful effects to health.  I have been drinking the stuff for a while, and I feel great, and am in great shape.  Honestly, the absolute worst this can do to you is slightly increase your risk of cancer in the long-term.  Bring it on.  If you avoid aspartame because of that, I hope you put on sun screen every time you step outside.

Sierra Mist Natural is bullshit, and an epic fail of healthy marketing.  If they really cared about health, they would make it with Stevia instead of this "natural" sugar.  But there's a problem.  Stevia doesn't taste as good.  Nobody would buy it.  If they can convince people "natural" sugar is a healthier choice, they can make it taste the same as regular Sierra Mist, and get increased sales from people trying to be healthy and failing.  Quite a win for them I guess.

/end rant

3 comments:

  1. while I also hate soda and the way that america in general tends to pump everything with sugar (and salt, for that matter), I think that sugar is actually a lot better for you than high fructose corn syrup

    ReplyDelete
  2. youre mistaken man. obesity is all about calories. both HFCS and cane sugar have the same calories. switching from one to the other will do nothing. theyre both natural substances. HFCS isnt some chemical that will poison you.

    the only possible difference is that HFCS might cause an increased appetite. nothing a little self-control cant fix. if youre drinking and eating natural sugars instead, youre doing it wrong already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dumb people won't notice that it's still making them fat. diet sierra mist is still out there, don't worry.

    definitely prefer diet ginger ale or diet sprite.

    ReplyDelete